One of the areas we are the best at is the prevention of fungus in your home. Fungus can be broken down into two types: non-wood decaying and wood decaying fungus. Surprisingly, most homeowners don’t realize that fungus causes billions of dollars of damages to homes throughout the United States on a yearly basis. In actuality, fungus is much more devastating to your home, more so than termites. Non-decaying fungus would be what you would refer to as mold and mildew. Mold and mildew can affect our respiratory systems causing people that have bad allergies and asthma to have more frequent flare ups. However, it does very little damage to your house while it is in these states. Wood decaying fungus is essentially a plant that utilizes the wood in your home to conduct the flow of water for its survival by attaching roots which, over a period of time, will cause your wood to become brittle, rot, and crack giving the wood the appearance of cube-like shapes on the interior part of the wood. The wood must have a high wood to moisture content (WMC) somewhere in the range of 18% – 28%. What that means is: water makes up 18% of the content of the piece of wood. At 28%, a nonliving piece of wood is saturated causing it to have wood decaying fungus. Wood decaying fungus will appear in any one of the following colors: brown, black, white, or orange.